Sunday 10 October 2010

My best friend

Here's to the one person on earth with whom I feel safe.

The more we love our friends, the less we flatter them. So I find myself never saying anything nice to him, not because he doesn't deserve it, but because a friend is a single soul dwelling in two bodies. Everything I say he knows anyway.

In a lot of ways I think that friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art … It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that gives value to survival.


We need to build our friendships on truth and wholeness and expansiveness. We need friends who can be with us in our loneliness, not people who will cheer us up so that we don’t feel it. We need friends who get furious with us when we are not being real or true to ourselves, not when we don’t do what they want us to do.

Will you be my friend, my friend of friends, beyond every one, everything, forever and forever?